Saturday, August 3, 2013

Bountiful Harvest

God has blessed us with such a good garden this year. Last year it was so dry and hot and we had to water so often. This year has been so different. Yesterday I didn't find time to blog. We were busy and also had some kin folk come for a visit. Also had trouble with the well and had to have it serviced. Ended up having to pull it, but they did find a hole in the pipe and that is why it has been running constantly. So glad to get that fixed. Tommy just had him put in all new pipe because it was the original pipe down in there and he didn't want any more problems with pipes leaking.

I wanted to show some of the fruits of our labors. I know these are not all fruits, but I like that phrase :)

These are crowder peas Tommy picked and we shelled today. They are so good and it always amazes me that they turn brown when I cook them.


These are some green beans that were picked today. They came from the first plants we had this year. It is very unusual for us to have them produce all season long.



Our tomatoes have been slow to ripen and it has been hard to get enough to can anything with them so far. I had put up one batch of pasta sauce so far and was waiting for enough to make some more pasta and salsa. Well, yesterday a neighbor brought us a bunch of tomatoes. So I had enough to do something with.

And just like magic, this is what they turned into.







And this is what I cooked for supper tonight. All of it except for the pork chop and the tea were raised right here on the farm. Before corporate hog farms put us out of business we would have raised the pork too. I wonder how many people are able to eat food this fresh. Thanks to my daughter, Julie for the Cornmeal Crusted Pork Chop recipe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment